UnionsACT are trialling a Young Workers Centre to help fight rampant wage-theft by dodgy employers. Young workers are particularly vulnerable to exploitation in this area. Broken workplace laws and under-funded regulators provide little protection.
The Young Workers Centre is a free service to support any young worker who has questions or concerns about their rights and safety at work.
Employers are required to abide by labour laws which include:
- Payment of minimum wage and/or penalty rates;
- Payment of superannuation;
- Work health and safety standards;
- Payment for all hours worked, including overtime;
- Providing proper records including payslips.
For information, and for support if someone you know is being ripped off, go to: www.youngworkerscbr.org.au.
The Centre is calling for donations to help in its establishment.